I know how uncomfortable acid reflux can be and taking medication just didn’t work for ME. I’m sharing this because I dealt with it two years ago and it started out of nowhere. I went to my primary doctor who wasn’t sure what could be causing the pain, then she wrote me a prescription for a PPI. This PPI was the worst medication I’d ever taken because it gave me chills (a side effect). So I stopped taking it after a few days and checking with my doctor first.
Shortly after, I went to see a gastroenterologist, but he couldn’t do anything for me unless I got an endoscopy done (which was a big hell no for me since it’s an outpatient surgery. I didn’t want anything being stuck down my esophagus). So my next option was to research, research, research, and after about one month of trying natural remedies, my GERD wasn’t bothering me anymore.
Acid reflux is irritating, very common, and kinda scary, so I’ve decided to share what worked for me. Please keep in mind that I’m not a doctor or medical professional. Everything that worked for me isn’t guaranteed to do the same for you, so please keep that in mind. The following tips are not universal, this is just what worked for me. Everyone’s healing process looks different 💛
Ways to Help Relieve Acid Reflux Symptoms:
• Take your time, eat slowly, savor your food
• Chew your food thoroughly (about 20-30 times). Digestion starts in the mouth
• Avoid spicy and acidic foods/drinks like orange juice, lemonade and tomatoes (very hard to do, but helped a lot)
• Drink 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar w/ 8oz warm water in the morning—game changer for me! I can’t emphasize enough how much this helped my symptoms. Tip: drink with a straw to avoid damaging your enamel because acv can be harsh on the teeth
• Drink warm water first thing in the morning
• Avoid drinking while you eat and eat smaller meals at a time. It’s okay to take breaks in between servings (this could help reduce bloating too)
• Don’t drink soda/cut back on all carbonated drinks and alcohol (I hate soda, so this was easy)
• Try not to wait too late before eating your first meal of the day
• Try not to eat after 8pm (this really helped me)
• Elevate your head when laying down (use an extra pillow) and lay on your left side to aid digestion and keep the acid down
• Do at least 5 mins of stretching in the morning
• Take short walks during the day, especially after a big meal or at lunchtime
I hope these tips can help you. I know how uncomfortable acid reflux can be and taking medication just didn’t work for ME. It may work for you if your doctor prescribes it though. Remember to take it one day at a time. Don’t get overwhelmed and try to implement everything in one day. Thanks for reading!
*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional. This is not medical advice. Please speak to your doctor for medical advice about your condition or illness and any recommendations they may have.*